Spring isn’t too far off, but that doesn’t mean you can’t yet enjoy a dish with ingredients straight from the garden. Enjoy an omelet with yummy greens and a little yogurt and cheese to start the day off right. It’s proof that a hearty breakfast doesn’t need meat!
3 eggs or ¾ cup egg substitute
1 tbsp. plain yogurt, low-fat
1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
3 tsp. olive oil
¼ cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
½ cup fresh asparagus pieces
½ cup canned or frozen artichoke hearts, chopped
½ cup sugar snap peas, strings pulled and cut in ½-inch pieces
¼ tsp. dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. On the stove, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a skillet and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
3. Stir in the asparagus, artichoke hearts, peas, basil, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally until tender but still slightly crisp, 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
4. Preheat the broiler.
5. Beat the egg substitute or eggs with the yogurt and another pinch of pepper.
6. Heat the rest of the oil in a heavy-bottom skillet. Pour in the egg mixture and cook until just set on the bottom but still wet on the top, 1 minute.
7. Scatter the vegetables over the top and set into the oven to finish cooking, 2 minutes.
8. Dust the top with the Parmesan cheese, cut into wedges, and serve.