For many of us, physical activity is a chore we’d rather avoid at all costs. But it doesn’t have to be that way! Finding fun, satisfying ways to incorporate activity into our daily lives is the key to long-term weight management success. Need inspiration? Check out the ideas below.
· Keep it interesting by listening to your favorite music or podcasts while on the go – you can take them with you anywhere! If at home or the gym, put the treadmill on a favorite TV station.
· Keep it social by finding a work-out buddy to walk, swim, or jog with you. Alternatively, connect with others or bring a friend to a regularly scheduled dance, boot camp, or yoga class.
· Make it challenging by using a timer for exercise routines or laps. Other ideas include adding more reps or distance to workouts, and incorporating short bursts of different exercises such as lunges or push-ups into a walk or run. Track your progress using a fitness app!
· Make it meaningful by getting active for a cause. A 5k walk or run for a cause benefits you and others! Or keep a reminder of your motivation for exercising nearby and pull it out just before getting started – extra motivation goes a long way!
· Make it fun. Focus on physical activities you enjoy, whether it’s dancing, martial arts, or yoga. Or bring out the kid in you by jumping rope, playing tag or Frisbee, or getting moving on the playground (think monkey bars and swing sets).
No matter your interests or your lifestyle, getting active can be satisfying in and of itself. Try it and let your coach know what you learn!