We know we’re not supposed to do it, but sometimes we still do it anyway. Come on, you know you’ve done it. Insomnia strikes and you end up in the refrigerator searching for a late night snack. You know that healthy habits are made by staying strong, even when no one is watching. But that leftover cake is looking mighty tasty. No one would ever have to know…
Hold it right there! Get it together. A healthy lifestyle is made by a series of small decisions; it’s not one potato-chip-bag-sized problem keeping you from your healthy goals, it’s hundreds of small “sneaks” adding up to bigger “cheats.”
Here are eight healthier alternatives we love that are quick, but will help you say sayonara to diet-wrecking sneaks:
- Dried Fruit: By keeping a cache of raisins, pitted prunes, dried apples or apricots on-hand, you can curb your hunger without having to lift a pan (or even a fork!).
- Popcorn: Tossing a bag of yellow popping corn into the microwave for an evening snack is not only a healthier alternative to sugary snacks – it also makes your kitchen smell awesome.
- Snack Nuts: Another great snack to have in your emergency late-night kit. By grabbing a handful or two of whole natural almonds or unsalted roasted peanuts, you can still feel good about your choices.
- Sugar Snap Peas: Try keeping a bag of these fresh, crisp delights in your fridge for when late-night takeout temptation strikes.
- Instant Brown Rice: While it requires a little prep time, brown rice is a nice go-to. Try adding in some fresh fruit, too, like pineapple.
- Natural Granola: Granola as a late-night snack is unbeatable – especially if you “must” sneak some dark chocolate in, the granola helps balance this out.
- Oatmeal: Add cinnamon and a dash of sugar or honey along with blueberries for a taste that will make you forget about the cake!
- Egg Whites: The amazing egg! You can eat them cooked with a little pepper, or add grilled chicken and 1% milk for a bit more protein.
These are just a few of our favorites to cease the late-night stomach growl. What are some of your recommendations for late-night healthy snacking? Share them in the comments so we can all learn new ideas to avoid sneaks!
This material is intended for informational use only and should not be construed as medical advice or used in place of consulting a licensed medical professional. You should consult with your doctor before making dietary changes.
Image used under Creative Commons License from Magic Madzik.
Humana is a Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO, and PFFS plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in a Humana plan depends on contract renewal. This information is not a complete description of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments, and restrictions may apply. Benefits may change each year.
This information is available for free in other languages. Please call Customer Care at the number on the back of your Humana member ID card.
Esta información está disponible gratuitamente en otros idiomas. Comuníquese con el Departamento de Atención al Cliente llamando al número en el dorso de su tarjeta de identificación de afiliado de Humana.