Fresh and canned pumpkins have many healthy uses in the kitchen. Complete with vitamins A, C, K, and plenty of fiber—pumpkin is a pantry staple that can be used in healthy cooking year-round. Here are some great ways to make the most of a HumanaVitality® fall favorite:
- This Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake is a great way to start the day or replenish your energy after tackling a tough workout.
- This slow cooker Pumpkin Oatmeal is a great morning treat for families who may be too busy to make a warm breakfast during the week. Simply put the ingredients into a slow cooker the night before, and enjoy a warm breakfast when you wake up. As an added bonus, your entire kitchen will smell wonderful.
- Need a pot-luck offering? This Pumpkin Hummus pairs well with veggies and makes for a healthy and delicious party appetizer.
- Who says hearty needs to be meaty? This Pumpkin Chili is packed with veggies and can be made vegan or gluten free!
- This Pumpkin Shrimp Curry is packed with bold flavors and would make a fantastic fall dish. Swap out the steamed basmati for brown rice or quinoa to make it even better for you!
- Cheesy Baked Pumpkin Pasta the colder weather definitely has our team craving warm and comforting classics. This cheesy baked pumpkin pasta looks promising.
- What’s for dessert? Cupcakes will satisfy your sweet tooth while helping with portion control. These Pumpkin Cupcakes are fun and festive for fall. Cheesecake lovers should try the Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake Yogurt Cupcakes.
- For those of you carving pumpkins with your family, don’t forget the seeds! Pumpkin seeds have a variety of nutrients, including protein, zinc, and heart-healthy magnesium. Here’s a tried and true recipe for delicious roasted pumpkin seeds.
Canned pumpkin is a versatile veggie that can be used for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert. It’s a powerful baking tool that can be used as a healthy substitute for eggs and oil. For even more ways to use the king of squash here are 53 more ways to sneak pumpkin into every meal.
Photo used under creative use license courtesy of Mike Mozart. HumanaVitality is not an insurance product. This material is intended for informational use only and should not be construed as medical advice or used in place of consulting a licensed medical professional.
Humana is a Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO, and PFFS plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in a Humana plan depends on contract renewal. This information is not a complete description of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments, and restrictions may apply. Benefits may change each year.
This information is available for free in other languages. Please call Customer Care at the number on the back of your Humana member ID card.
Esta información está disponible gratuitamente en otros idiomas. Comuníquese con el Departamento de Atención al Cliente llamando al número en el dorso de su tarjeta de identificación de afiliado de Humana.